Plantain and onion bhajis
- 1 onion, sliced
- 50g grated green plantain
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup gram flour
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour and add the remaining ingredients. Stir together and make a well in the centre.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water to the well, then mix with a fork until the mixture forms a thick, stiff batter.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Fry the remaining fritters a few at a time without overcrowding.
- Enjoy on its own or with a spicy tomato sauce.