Sweet potato, leek and stilton soup
- 3 sweet potatoes (about 450g)
- 3 leeks
- 10g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 ltr veg stock or hot water
- Half a lemon, juiced
- 50g stilton or gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/390°F/gas 6
- Peel and chop sweet potato into largish cubes, place on a lined baking tray and roast for 20 minutes or till tender and cooked through.
- Cut a 4cm length from the white part of one leek, then cut into matchstick strips and set aside. Slice remaining leeks.
- Heat the butter and one tbsp of oil in a large sauté pan and fry the remaining leeks and spices for roughly 10 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Heat a small pan, add the remaining oil and fry the reserved leeks until golden and drain on kitchen paper.
- Once the potatoes are done, add to the leeks and stir in the stock and leave to simmer for about five minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and whizz till smooth. Return to the pan and reheat slightly.
- To serve, divide soup between warm bowls, add a dribble of lemon juice to each bowl of soup, a crumble of cheese and finish with fried leek strips.