- 2kg/4 lb whole chicken, chopped into 10 pieces
- Salt to season
- 2cm/1 inch ginger, peeled
- 1-2 scotch bonnet chillies, pierced
- Peppercorns, optional
- Small handful of fresh basil
- 400g/14oz tin tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1.5ltr/54floz hot water
- 500g/18oz vegetables like carrots, mushrooms, cabbage, optional
- Place the chicken, salt, ginger, scotch bonnet, peppercorns and fresh herbs in a large saucepan.
- Blend the tomatoes, garlic and onions until smooth. Pour over the chicken then cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until the chicken juices run clear.
- Add the hot water, bring to boil and simmer until the meat is just tender. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Dice and add the vegetables and leave to cook until tender.